David Lock Associates is a leading urban design and planning consultancy with a passion for improving cities for their inhabitants. We believe that compact cities (dense, diverse, human-scaled and walkable) are more sustainable, liveable, equitable and resilient. We help to create more compact cities by facilitating the right development in the right place through strategic planning, statutory planning, urban design advice, advocacy and expert evidence.
Do you believe in compact cities?
Are you a statutory planner with a keen interest in urban design?
Have you ever considered pursuing urban design as a career pathway?
If your answer to these questions is yes, then this position could be for you!
We have a vacancy in our growing South Melbourne-based team for an urban designer to assist our Statutory Urban Design team with a broad spectrum of urban design outputs, including public sector urban design referrals, private sector urban design advice, urban context reports, urban character studies and VCAT/PPV urban design expert evidence statements. This role offers unprecedented diversity and exposure to multiple leading-edge urban design and urban planning projects within Melbourne, as well as genuine urban design career pathways.
The successful candidate will join a highly capable and experienced team of urban designers and will have the following skills, expertise and abilities:
- A degree in town planning or urban design (minimum) is essential;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Good personal presentation;
- An ability to work independently and within a team;
- A demonstrated ability to work across several projects concurrently and meet multiple competing timeframes;
- Strong problem identification and resolution skills; and
- Competency in the use of basic office programs (including Outlook and Microsoft Word).
- A degree in both town planning and urban design;
- Approximately 1-2 years previous experience working with Victorian planning legislation
- Proficiency in visual communication software (Adobe Creative Suite and SketchUp); and
- Hand drawing visual communication skills.
In return we offer:
- A genuine opportunity to immerse yourself in ‘real world’ urban design and town planning projects, including many of Melbourne’s most significant development projects;
- Unparalleled exposure to market leading expertise;
- Fun, flexible and supportive culture;
- Mentoring and training opportunities to achieve your goals and grow professionally, genuine career progression opportunities; and
- The opportunity to be part of a global brand and benefit from our UK connections and pedigree.
Salary to be negotiated with the successful applicant based on skills and experience.
Please email your resume – including a cover letter and sample portfolio – to Brodie Blades (Associate) C/- Jacky Cashman (HR Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.